(Update : This position has been filled and the posting is closed.)
Pratham Books is a not-for-profit children’s book publisher that was set up in 2004 to publish good quality, affordable books in many Indian languages. Our mission is to see ‘a book in every child’s hand’ and we have spread the joy of reading to millions of children in India.
In 13 years, we have published over 3,000 books and distributed over 14 million copies of our storybooks and 16 million story cards. In 2015, Pratham Books’ increased its footprint by going digital. As an industry leader, we were one of the first publishers in the country to open license our content. All this content is now available on StoryWeaver, our digital platform that hosts stories in 60 languages. The stories can be read, translated, versioned or downloaded for free.
Today, Pratham Books creates books suited to both print and digital mediums in multiple languages. We are looking for an Art Director to help us create visually appealing picture books with a strong understanding of how each of these mediums work.
As an Art Director, you will be responsible for the design and production of books created for both print and digital. As most of our titles are migrated to StoryWeaver, we are looking for someone who is tech-savvy and eager to find ways of minimising loss between print and digital book design. This will require you to work closely with our editorial team and external content creators we collaborate with (illustrators, consultant artdirectors). The candidate needs to have excellent graphic design skills and experience in print production.
- Manage a team of graphic designers to ensure that the book design is completed within agreed timelines
- Work with freelance illustrators and consultant art directors to create visually-appealing books keeping in mind print and digital requirements
- Find innovative ways of reducing losses when a book is adapted from print to digital, or vice versa
- Ensure highest quality of print books
- Work closely with the editorial team to create stories with rich, diverse and nuanced visual narratives
- Bring in expertise of typography, keeping in mind multilingual content
- 6-8 years of experience in Graphic Design
- Strong understanding of print production
- Strong communication skills
- Expertise in Photoshop, InDesign
- Ability to multi-task
- Be a team player
Nice to have but not mandatory:
- An interest in illustration and book publishing
- Knowledge of children’s books
Location: Position is based out of Bangalore
Salary: Will commensurate with experience. We are looking for a passionate individual who wants to be part of a team that is creating a new model in multilingual publishing to address the scarcity of books for children in need.
Write to us: Email your resume with Art Director in the subject line to careers(at)prathambooks(dot)org
P.S – If you are shortlisted, you will hear back from us within 15 days of applying.
Leave a Reply