International Book Giving Day is just around the corner and we are gearing up for this celebration. We will unveil our plans soon… but till then, we just wanted to know if you will be celebrating too?
Oh wait … Are you asking what International Book Giving Day? Well, International Book Giving Day is celebrated on 14th February (a valentine’s day for books? Hehe).
International Book Giving Day is a volunteer initiative aimed at increasing children’s access to and enthusiasm for books.
International Book Giving Day’s focus is on encouraging people worldwide to give a book to a child on February 14th. We invite individuals to
1) give a book to a friend or family member,
2) leave a book in a waiting room for children to read, or
3) donate a gently used book to a local library, hospital or shelter or to an organization that distributes used books to children in need internationally.
And apart from celebrating this day on 14th, you can also volunteer to spread the word in the following ways
- Print this International Book Giving Day poster, and hang copies in your community.
- Send links to the International Book Giving Day 2013 poster and press release to your local newspaper along with information about any events being planned in your community. See “help organize” for ideas about organizing an event in your community.
- Invite others to celebrate International Book Giving Day via newsletters, list serves, event calendars etc.
So, time to figure out how you will be celebrating this day. Write in to us and share your ideas. We would love to hear how everyone is getting books into the hands of children.