is a not-for-profit children’s book publisher that was set up in 2004 to publish good quality, affordable books in many Indian languages. Our mission is to see ‘a book in every child’s hand’ and we have spread the joy of reading to millions of children in India.
In the last 3 years, we have invested deeply in technology based initiatives to further our mission. We are now looking for an experienced Product Manager that can lead our digital projects as we significantly scale these initiatives. (Update : This position has been filled and the posting is closed.)
About the Digital Properties
Storyweaver is a digital platform that hosts stories in languages from India and beyond, so that every child can have an endless stream of stories in her mother tongue to read and enjoy. The stories can be read, translated, versioned or downloaded for free. All stories on the platform are openly licensed and the goal is to open source the code as well
. In just one year, StoryWeaver has scaled from 800 stories in 24 languages to 2800 stories in 59 languages by engaging with a community of users. We want every child to have access to quality reading resources in their own language.
StoryWeaver is being recognized as an emerging innovation that can transform the early literacy reader ecosystem globally. Our vision is for StoryWeaver to be the largest multilingual open library in the world for children by empowering communities to address the scarcity of reading resources in their mother tongue languages and scale the quantity and quality of content being produced.
from Pratham Books is a unique, crowdfunding platform that helps raise funds for organizations that want to build children’s libraries.
We are looking for a passionate individual wanting to make a difference, one who believes that technology can be a powerful enabler in creating equitable access to resources.
This role requires a seasoned manager and technologist who can work effectively, both independently and collaboratively, in a team environment and deliver the project in a timely manner within allocated resources and budgets. The Product Manager will play a strategic role in defining the product roadmap, translating it into detailed requirements and developing a roadmap for delivery. S/he will work closely with the domain, outreach and content teams to define the user requirements which will guide feature development. All aspects of managing the project including the RFP process, vendor selection, hiring of people, documentation and project delivery will be managed by the Product Manager.
The position will report to the Head of Digital Projects but also requires working closely with the top management. In a 3 year time-frame the project outcomes are expected to scale by 10x and the Product Manager will play a critical role in ensuring the smooth functioning of the platform at this scale. Most importantly the person needs to be an out-of-the box thinker and should be a strong believer and propagator of use of open technologies.
- Understand the user requirements and define the product roadmap
- Generate RFP’s and manage the process of technology vendor selection
- Prepare the user stories, documentation and compile the platform requirement and workflow documents
- Scope and prioritize the product feature sets
- Work closely with technology vendors on all aspects
- Ensure the project is done within the budgeted resources
- Optimize the user experience
- Be an evangelist in the tech community to build awareness around the platform.
- BTech/MSc/MCA degree in Computer Science or related disciplines
- Proven work experience in product management
- Strong technical background with hands-on experience in open source web and mobile technologies
- Very good written and verbal communication skills
- 8 -10 years of experience
Nice to have but not mandatory
- Experience working with non-profits.
- Domain knowledge in publishing industry, Indic language experience
Location: This role is based out of Bangalore and is full-time. The project is expected to complete within a 3 year time-frame.
Salary: Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates are requested to send in their resume to [email protected].
Leave a Reply