Visuwords : The visual online dictionary
From the Visuwords website:
Visuwords™ online graphical dictionary — Look up words to find their meanings and associations with other words and concepts. Produce diagrams reminiscent of a neural net. Learn how words associate.
Enter words into the search box to look them up or double-click a node to expand the tree. Click and drag the background to pan around and use the mouse wheel to zoom. Hover over nodes to see the definition and click and drag individual nodes to move them around to help clarify connections.
Using Visuwords in the Classroom” talks about how this tool can be utilized in the context of a classroom. Some of the key points that the author mentions are :
- Define key vocabulary from learning objectives
- Explore new vocabulary that you find
- Explore a word derivation
- Play a word journey game
- Experience the links between words
- Show the depth and complexity of meaning
- Explore different word types
- Discover more information than you expect to
- Just enjoy it!
Read how the author explores the above mentioned ideas here