Book Review : Chuskit Goes to School
Chuskit Goes to School by Sujatha Padmanabhan is another of the gems published and made openly available for all on Scribd by Pratham books.
1. A problem that doesn’t touch our lives is empathetically dealt with as the central theme of the story. Kudos to the author and publishers for bringing to light such difficulties of disabled people.
2. The use of local terms and words like Aba-ley and Julley, enhances the story giving it a local flavor. There is a glossary of these words at the end of the book.
3. The sketches and illustrations by Madhuvanti Anantharajan, particularly where Chuskit watches the world through her window, bring the setting in front of our eyes.
4. This book is available in English, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Marathi, Oriya, Telugu, Tamil and Urdu as is the norm with Pratham books. In addition, it is also available in Ladakhi, thanks to the efforts of Avalokite?vara Trust.
5. Find Pratham books on Scribd. I downloaded this book from their Scribd channel, where they have released about 400 of their books under Creative Commons Licence.