You’re reading about this position because you believe in the power of content – good content. Similarly at Pratham Books, we believe in the power of stories – good stories. And in the last decade we have strived hard to reach children across India with a variety of award-winning stories across 12 Indian languages.
It is now time to scale and explore the power of digital through our open-source Crowd-sourcing Story Publishing Platform (SPP). And it for this platform that we are looking for a dynamic Content Manager.
About the Story Publishing Platform:
Till date Pratham Books has reached millions of children but we are still very far from the goal of seeing ‘a book in every child’s hand’. In-order to scale-up and tackle this problem head-on a collaborative story publishing seems to be the best way forward.
SPP, will allow readers and content creators participate collaboratively, creatively and in mutually beneficial ways to translate, remix and create entirely new books using our openly licensed illustrations and stories as a starting point and make the resultant works available in a variety of standard compliant formats for reach across both digital and print mediums while providing open access to a library of digitized stories and illustrations.
Pratham Books has been an early adopter of the Creative Commons (CC) and many derivative versions from our CC books can be seen here
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated individual with experience and skills in curating content, creating strategic partnerships and anchoring content on the SPP. In essence, this person will be in charge of creating and populating a digital asset repository which will ensure there is an abundance of interesting and relevant content available for all stakeholders to engage with. The role will report to the Project Lead and will work closely with different internal stakeholders.
The individual will be responsible for all the following:
- Create the content road-map for the SPP. Plan the number of stories, genres etc
- Create calendar/matrix of content delivery. Create actionable processes and workflows
- Have a pulse on the new types of content and delivery mechanisms and keeping an eye on international trends
- Creating a strategy and user-interface for display of content on the SPP
- Creating a database of content creators, authors, illustrators, translators etc on the platform to enhance engagements
Content Curation and Sourcing:
- Creating a large repository of content – Position the platform as the one-stop-source for openly licensed children’s stories
- Curating content from the Pratham Books’ catalog
- Briefing the internal content team for the type of new content required for the SPP
- Sourcing children’s stories under open licences from across the globe
Liaison with co-collaborators & internal stakeholders:
- Working closely with internal teams to create author /illustrator/ publisher / NGO partnerships to boost activity on the platform
- Work closely with the marketing team to come up with interesting promotions to promote use of content
- Work closely with the content, research and marketing teams on pilot sites to test the content under production
- Assure content and versions of remixed content are archived correctly. Work closely with the Project Manager and the CTO on this
- Track and report on all site metrics for the content stream
Exceptional communication and organizational skills
Proven ability to build consensus and work effectively within a cross-departmental team
Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Technical Writing or a related field
Passion, Integrity and Energy!
Nice to have but not mandatory:
Experience working with non-profits.
Domain knowledge in the publishing industry, Indic language experience and digital publishing
Position is based out of Bangalore/Delhi and is full-time.
Will commensurate with experience. We are looking for a passionate individual who wants to make a difference.
Write to us: This position has been filled
Read more about what we do and why we do what we do:
Research reveals that 1 in 3 school-going children cannot read fluently. Children who are unable to read are unable to learn, as they can’t understand what is being taught to them. And that contributes to the high dropout rates in schools. Fortunately many non-profit organizations are aware of this problem, and are working towards getting children to read. However, once children do learn to read, it is critical to nurture that habit, so that they begin to enjoy it, and continue to read. To cultivate a reading habit, it is essential for children to have access to books and libraries.
In India there is a large gap for good quality affordable books in languages that our children read and learn in. Pratham Books was set up to fill this gap. As a not-for-profit publisher, our dream is to see a country where every child wants to read, is able to read, and has something good to read.
Till date, Pratham Books has published over 260 titles in English and 10 other Indian languages. That’s over 1600 books, most of which are priced below Rs 35. We have printed over 11 million books, over 10 million story cards and have a readership of nearly 50 million. Our vision is to reach 200 million children in India, and we hope to someday put ‘a book in every child’s hand’.