The idea behind the campaignThe idea is to encourage children to fall in love with reading. This initiative is part of the Pratham Books’ Champions program where we encourage our community of volunteers to use one book to conduct reading sessions. These sessions are conducted free of cost and mostly with children from under-served communities.
Sounds interesting? Available on 6th September, 2014? Join thousands of others and do your part to make reading contagious!
If you have any queries, please mail champions(at)prathambooks(dot)org BEFORE filling in the form.
1. Will the book be sent for free or does the champion pay for it?Answer : The book is sent to you for free.
2. Does the champion have to find the venue?Answer : Yes. Identify places where you can conduct this event in your city – A government school, an NGO, a library, a bookstore, a park, a train, your building…any place with regular kids footfalls. Approach the organization and explain the concept to them. Most of them will be happy to host you.
3. This is the first time I am conducting an event. How should I prepare for it?Answer : Read the book a few times. If you are reading to a younger age-group, see how you can tell the story without actually reading the book (to retain their attention). Think of activities that you can do after the storytelling to engage the children (example : can the story take on a skit form, can the story be a way to talk about an important issue, etc).
4. Can i conduct multiple events?Answer : Definitely!!! The aim is to reach as many kids as possible. We’ve had champions who’ve conducted 2-3 sessions on the main day and then gone on to conduct sessions on other days too.
5. Should I document the event?Answer : We expect all our Champions to send us some documentation about the event conducted by them. You can send us mini videos, pictures or a write-up on the event which will tell us [and the whole wide world] on the “real impact” made.